In the past, viruses and malware would only be known to computer users. But, with popularity of mobile phones, they have spread to infect phones as well. Android is a very popular operating system, perhaps the most popular in the world, and is a major target by viruses. This article discusses some of the best antivirus apps for Android.
Viruses would exploit vital personal information which you process using your phone everyday. This includes banking information, passwords, personal data and more. It is important that you secure your phone using a fee or better yet, a paid antivirus app. Why is a paid app better? Because, most free antivirus apps have limitations and won’t protect you from all threats.
5 Best Antivirus Apps for Android
- AVG Antivirus (Free) – AVG has more than 100,000,000 installations as per the Play Store. With a user rating of 4.7 from over 6 million users, this app is a pretty good antivirus. The free version of AVG protects your device by scanning apps, websites, games and files. The app also comes with a phone locator, task killer, app lock and Wi-Fi scanner. One of the disadvantage of using the free version is that you will be bombarded with advertisements.
- Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus – Kaspersky has a proven track record in keeping computers safe. Their mobile version of the antivirus is no different. With over 50 million downloads, Kaskpersky is a good choice when it comes to choosing an antivirus app. To take advantage of the real-time protection, you will need to upgrade to the premium version.
- Avast Antivirus – Avast is another popular player in the antivirus market. The free version of the app has an impressive list of features to protect your phone from unwanted threats. Some features include antivirus scan, anti-theft, photo vault, web shield, and more. Premium paid features include camera trap which send you a photo of the thief if your phone is stolen. Also, less ads are shown in the paid version.
- Malwarebytes Security – Malwarebytes has been my personal choice for a long time when it came to protecting my computer. In terms of mobile protection, it’s not as downloaded as the above mentioned antivirus apps. With over 10 million downloads, Malwarebytes is still a great app when it comes to providing real-time protection during web surfing. The app also scans for ransomware, PUPs and phishing scams. Premium version costs only $1.49/month, which is a low price to pay for peace of mind.
- McAfee Mobile Security – McAfee is a well known antivirus company. The product description on the Play store states, “McAfee Mobile Security app is armed with a powerful security engine provided by McAfee Global Threat Intelligence. Use a WiFi Scanner, virus removal and mobile security features to defend against phishing, risky apps and WiFi threats. Additionally, access Find Phone features, device optimization with storage cleaner, memory booster, battery booster, and data usage tracking.” Again, for best protection, the premium version is recommended.
Investing in your device security is one of the best investments you can make. Never rely on your good judgement or device capability for security as it only takes a visit to one wrong site to infect your device.